Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Santorum = The Pope in the Whitehouse.

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.
What goes around, comes around.

Read it and weep!

When John F Kennedy ran for president you would read and hear things like:
Many voters, especially those in the Bible Belt of the South, expressed concern that Kennedy's affiliation with the Roman Catholic church could result in the Pope controlling the White House.

Many Americans were fearful that a Catholic in the White House would be under the direction of the Vatican, and the Pope, and that the constitutional separation of church and state would be compromised.

When Jack ran for the Presidency, America's prejudice against Catholics became apparent in cartoons and questions fired by the press as to whether his decided policies would be affected by decisions of the Pope in the Vatican in Rome.

But the sword of prejudice cuts both ways.  In an interview with Lester Hyman, a Democratic activist who’d been sent to win Eleanor Roosevelt’s endorsement of Kennedy, Matthew reports that she “let loose with a broadside. ‘We wouldn’t want the Pope in the White House, would we?’”
The First Amendment of the Constitution prohibits the establishment of any official religion and calls for the separation of church and state. Still, for a long time, the U.S. was very much a Protestant country, and people held deep prejudices against those of other faiths. That’s why religion has played a key role in some past presidential elections.

The 1928 race between Republican Herbert Hoover and Democrat Al Smith took place during an era of intense anti-Catholic feeling, and the fact that Smith was Catholic was a major reason for his landslide defeat.

When John F. Kennedy ran for president in 1960, his Catholicism raised such concerns that he gave a speech to a group of ministers in Houston, Texas, promising that he would never answer to the Pope.

“I am the Democratic Party’s candidate for president, who happens also to be a Catholic,” Kennedy said. “I do not speak for my church on public matters, and the church does not speak for me.”

And again, directly from JFK – READ THIS Carefully!
For contrary to common newspaper usage, I am not the Catholic candidate for President.

I am the Democratic Party's candidate for President who happens also to be a Catholic.

I do not speak for my church on public matters; and the church does not speak for me. Whatever issue may come before me as President, if I should be elected, on birth control, divorce, censorship, gambling or any other subject, I will make my decision in accordance with these views -- in accordance with what my conscience tells me to be in the national interest, and without regard to outside religious pressure or dictates. And no power or threat of punishment could cause me to decide otherwise.

But if the time should ever come -- and I do not concede any conflict to be remotely possible -- when my office would require me to either violate my conscience or violate the national interest, then I would resign the office; and I hope any conscientious public servant would do likewise.

Or you could take 5 minutes and listen to JFK in his own words – you will not regret it!




Please note that by playing this clip You Tube and Google will place a long-term cookie on your computer. Please see You Tube’s privacy statement on their website and Google’s privacy statement on theirs to learn more. To view the ACLU’s privacy statement, click here.

Too bad the Republicans can’t concentrate on “the more critical issues” facing our country.


UPDATE - February 26
Santorum was asked about statements made by JFK about the separation of church and state.
Santorum's reply:
that the notion of religion not playing role in politics “makes me want to throw up."
"I don't believe in an America where the separation between church and state is absolute," he said.
READ more >>>HERE<<<



It's amazing how Republicans have double standards.
It's amazing how hypocritical Republicans are.

Santorum isn’t worried about the “critical issues” facing our nation – unless he can pump his Catholicism into every statement that he makes –

Santorum shoves his Catholicism down the throat of every American - almost every day - something JFK NEVER did - unless he was forced to, to defend himself - from the right wing.


Therefore Santorum = The Pope in the Whitehouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment